Sunday, October 10, 2010

Top 10 Penned

In honor of my One Year Blog-O-Versary [throws confetti] I have compiled a list of 10 of my favorite posts from the past year. Is this self-serving? Well, duh. But hey! It's my blog-o-versary! If I can't celebrate by eating Chocodiles with Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale while I lovingly comb Paolo Nutini's hair, I can at least compile a Top 10 List.

You know what my spouse said to me yesterday? No, of course you don't, unless you've placed bugs in my swagger wagon, and if you have, I apologize for all the singing. Anyway, he offhandedly remarked that my writing personality is considerably different than my actual personality. I said, "Uh, you're trying to say I'm not funny in person?" And he shrugged his shoulders and looked out the window.

True, I am kind of quiet. But it's the quiet ones you have to watch out for, right? And don't worry. If you meet me in person, I'll lug my computer along so that I can be witty and charming -- only my computer is a desktop, so my posture will be horrendous.

I tell that story because for the past year, the Porch has been a comfortable place to come out of my shell as a writer, and maybe as a person, too. I've written a little bit of everything: personal essays, memoirs, letters, poems, fiction, raps about Chocodiles (don't be hatin', yo!). Those who follow regularly (God bless you), know that the posts range from the lighthearted to the serious, the ridiculous to the raw. I write what I feel, and I guess you'll ultimately be the judge of whether that's good or bad.

Some have suggested I narrow my focus as a writer, and that's probably sage advice. But the joy of the Porch is that I don't have to pigeonhole myself into one genre or mood here. I get to play and romp (and occasionally cyberstalk luscious man candy) and it's all in good fun. (But, um, if any of you wanted to actually pay me for my writing, I'd welcome that. Really. Please. Kids need to eat.)

I hope it's been good for you, too [hands you a cigarette]. I can't thank you enough for putting up with me, sharing the Porch with friends and offering feedback during the past year. You're good people.

So if you're new to the Porch, I offer the following 10 posts (in no particular order) to introduce you to, well, me:


10. One Woman's Dream: An Urgent Appeal to the IOC
9.  A Letter from MidLife
8.  All That Glitters is Definitely Not Gold
7.  A Mother's Prayer
6.  B-B-B-Bats in the Belfry!
5.  This is How You Don't Get Asked to be Room Mother
4.  Fear Not
3.  Milestones
2.  My Real Resolutions for 2010
1.  Simply Thankful


Y'all come back now, ya' hear? You'll always have a seat on the Porch -- but not necessarily a Chocodile. Those don't last long around here.

1 comment:

  1. Swagger Wagon. Love it!! Love that ad, it cracks me up every time I see it! Congrats on you blog-o-versary, and keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete