Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Oldometer Just Clicked

Somehow, and I'm not real sure how this happened, I turned 40 today.

Yesterday, I was celebrating my 17th birthday by munching on pizza and making out on the couch with my boyfriend of the month. How did that girl with the acid-washed jeans and the banana comb turn [gulp] 40? It went by so fast.

High school. College. Job. Marriage. Babies. BAZINGA! 40!

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'll take 40. As they say, it beats the alternative. I'm pretty sure I don't want my membership revoked. I just don't understand how I can be a card-carrying member already.

Sometimes, I'm honestly surprised when I see a photo of myself or look in the mirror. I don't recognize that woman staring back at me. Inside, I still feel  like the girl who watched "Sixteen Candles" and "The Breakfast Club" a zillion times dreaming of, well, honestly, the woman who would marry, have babies and write for a living.

Ironic, isn't it?

Geez.

Does this mean I gave to grow up now? 'Cause honestly, that would blow.

1 comment:

  1. I used to hate that saying, "You're as young as you feel." I didn't quite get it. Funny thing, as each year passes, I get it. 40 is actually no big deal. It's 50 I'm more concerned with. But hey, lifestyle and attitude, that's what it's all about. And having a really good stylist, spa and chiropractor.

    ReplyDelete