Thursday, November 21, 2013

You're so vain, you probably think this journal is about you. Oh, wait. It is.

Flipping through old journal entries in the wee hours of the morning, I found this poem I had quickly written earlier this year, when I was worried about Mom and couldn't sleep. I love it when Past Me writes something for Current Me, and I glean what I need from myself (is that vain? But let's face it. No one else understands me like, well, me).

As one dear friend said, "Funny how we already know exactly what we need. Sometimes it just needs to catch up to us. Or us to it."


Dear Lord,
Please give me strength
When I don't have it.
Give me courage
On days I lack it.
Give me hope
Because I need it,
And give me the faith
required to feed it.

Please help me love
When love is tough.
Give me patience
When I've had enough.
Give me conviction
When mired in doubt,
And be the light
that guides me out.


Amen.

(c) 2013 Penned from the Porch, Jennifer Jenkins McAnulty

 

No comments:

Post a Comment